The Executive Team
Our leaders live the values and are accountable for overseeing the company’s operations.
Managing Director/ Chief Executive Officer
Aaron Begley has over 20 years of experience in developing, commercialising, manufacturing and internationally marketing engineered products for the Oil & Gas, Defence and Resources Sectors. Experienced in Management, Strategy, Industrial Marketing, Export Marketing and Distribution, Product Development, Research and Development and Advanced Manufacturing, Aaron has also accumulated significant experience in the commercialisation and production of engineered products manufactured from advanced materials to a state of the art global standard.
Prior to his current role as Chief Executive Officer, Aaron held various positions within Matrix Composites & Engineering since starting with the company in 1993, including Managing Director and Marketing Manager. Throughout his tenure, Aaron has taken the company from a local heavy engineering firm to a global market leader in the manufacture of engineered products and advanced materials.
- Post Graduate Diploma of Management, Curtin University of Technology, Perth, 2002
- Bachelor of Economics, University of Western Australia, Perth, 1993
- Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Australian Innovation Research Group
- Society of Petroleum Engineers
- International Association of Drilling Contractors
- Young Presidents Organisation
HR & HSEQ Manager
Liz Hodgson joined Matrix in 2015 as HR Manager and was appointed to the HR & HSEQ Manager role in 2020. Prior to working at Matrix, Liz was employed in senior HR positions, both in Australia and overses. She has worked in a variety of industries including manufacturing, construction, safety consulting & training.
- Bachelor of Social Science – Organisational Psychology and Industrial Sociology, Rhodes University, 2006.
- Australian Human Resource Institute Certified Professional (CAHRI)
General Manager, Technology Group
Peter Pezet has a degree in Mechanical Engineering and over 27 years’ experience in product design, manufacturing process design and project management. For the last 21 years he has specialised in composites and their application in harsh marine environments.
Prior to Peter’s current role as General Manager – Technology Gorup, Peter led our Oil and Gas products division for three years after being the Matrix Engineering Manager for eight years.
Peter has also worked in the USA, UK and Holland in Design and Engineering Management roles. Leading a number of multi-national and multi-disciplined design teams, Peter worked on an array of high profile, lightweight composite and alloy structures.
- Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering, University of Queensland, Brisbane, 1992.
Chief Financial Officer & Joint Company Secretary
Brendan Cocks has over 20 years’ experience across a broad range of industries including manufacturing, resources, engineering services, retail and consumer goods.
Having originally qualified as a Chartered Accountant with KPMG, Brendan has spent the last 10 years as CFO of ASX listed Companies including Matrix, Kresta Holdings Ltd, LogiCamms Ltd and Dampier Gold Ltd. Prior to this Brendan spent eight years in senior commercial finance roles with Lion Nathan in WA and NSW.
- Bachelor of Commerce, University of Western Australia, Perth, 1994
- The Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia
GM - Commercial & Operations
Ian Phillips has over 20 years’ experience in manufacturing, operations, project and program management. Ian has worked in the US and UK with a proven track record across various industries including power generation, precision engineering, defence, mining, and oil and gas.
Prior to joining Matrix, Ian spent 4 years executing projects to manufacture military aircrafts – Joint Strike Fighter (F35) and Eurofighter.
- APMP Project Management, Princess Risborough, UK 2010
- Masters in Business Administration (MBA) University of Central Lancashire, UK 2006
- Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering, University of Northumbria, UK. 1999
- Australian Institute of Management
- Chamber of Commerce and Industry – WA Manufacturing Forum
Head of Operations
Robbie Stewart has a Mechanical Engineering degree and over 20 years of experience across a broad range of industries including extensive expertise in high volume, lean manufacturing environments.
He has worked both domestically and internationally across a range of engineering positions from production and process to product design and innovation.
Robbie’s managerial experience includes Quality Control, Assets and Facilities, Continuous Improvement and QHSE.
- Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering (Honours) University of Tasmania 1996
General Counsel & Joint Company Secretary
Paul Hardie is a corporate and commercial lawyer with more than 20 years’ business and legal experience across a wide range of industry sectors including mining and resources, construction, real estate, technology, and financial services.
Prior to joining Matrix, Paul was part of the mergers and acquisitions team of a top-tier national law firm before establishing his own boutique corporate law practice specialising in general corporate and commercial advisory, regulatory compliance, and M&A for start-ups and ASX listed entities.
Paul also has extensive Board experience having previously held a number of non-executive roles with public companies listed on ASX.
- Bachelor of Economics, University of Western Australia, 1992
- Bachelor of Laws, Murdoch University, Perth, 1997
- Law Society of Western Australia