In 2011, Matrix opened the largest composites syntactic foam manufacturing plant in the world. The 22,000 m2 facility is located in Henderson, Western Australia within the state’s Australian Marine Complex precinct. When designing the plant, Matrix drew from the latest advanced manufacturing concepts including LEAN production and one-piece flow. The company also uses highly automated manufacturing processes including moving work cells and production lines, automated chemical processing, robotics and Scada-based control systems. This has allowed Matrix to produce superior quality products that are competitively priced and can be delivered within shorter timeframes.
The complex boasts a large R&D department run by scientists and material engineers from a broad spectrum of industry disciplines. A range of on-site testing facilities allows materials and products to be tested to relevant internal, client and international standards before release.
Matrix invests heavily in its in-house testing capabilities to ensure the majority of tests can be performed on-site, thus eliminating potential bottlenecks in the process flow. In some cases, Matrix will engage an independent third party to verify its own testing results, thereby providing further reassurance that its solutions will perform to specification.
To ensure we continue to be at the forefront of advanced material solutions in the areas of buoyancy, corrosion protection and structural laminates the facility also boasts:
- Roto moulding centre of excellence
- Large composite laminate workshop
- Injection moulding machines
- The Southern Hemisphere’s largest hydrostatic test facility
- Inhouse formulation and blending of epoxy resin solutions
- Dangerous goods storage and handling facilities license
- Dry ice pelletizing and blasting
- Plural painting equipment
- Polyurethane foam injection systems
- Resin cartridging systems
- Programmable robotic grit blasting line.